Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Real Food Meal Plan: Week of March 25th - 31st

Sorry this post is late!  I'm not doing anything new for dinner this week - just sticking with old favorites. 

Sunday: Third week in a row of oven fried chicken (see below for recipe) with roasted potatoes and kale

Monday: Crockpot Chicken Quinoa

Tuesday: Salmon Cakes with roasted beet salad and goat cheese* (Our Anniversary)
 *I'm pretty much changing this recipe so much that only ingredients that are the same are the beets and goat cheese.  If it's good, I'll try to remember what I did, and I'll try to measure.

Wednesday: Clam Chowder (I have a printed recipe.  Sorry no link.)

Thursday: Chicken Fried Steak (with spelt flour and lard instead of canola oil)

Friday: Black Bean Quesadillas

Reid and I have come to LOVE the oven fried chicken we've been making on Sunday.  If you'd like to enjoy it too, here's my recipe.

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken (pastured or organic if possible)
1 cup spelt flour (or another favorite flour of your choice, sprouted if possible)
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. onion powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 t. paprika
1 egg
2 T. lard or beef tallow (optional)

It's cheaper to  by a whole chicken and cut it up yourself.  Just google "how to cut up a chicken" if you don't know how.  That's how I learned, and it's easy.

Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees. Combine the flour and spices in a bowl.  In a separate bowl whisk the egg with 2 T. of water.  Dip the chicken pieces in the egg wash then dredge each piece  in the flour mixture.  Place the floured chicken pieces in a baking dish (they shouldn't overlap) and bake for 45 min or until internal temp reaches 165 degrees.  Flip each piece about halfway through the cooking time

I like to cook my chicken in a 12-inch cast iron skillet.  I melt about 2 T. of lard in the bottom of the skillet then I put the chicken pieces in and put the skillet in the oven.  We get the crispy, most delicious chicken ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment