Saturday, March 17, 2012

Real Food Meal Plan: Week of March 17th-23rd

Today was a fun day! Not because it was St. Patrick's day but because Reid and I vowed not to do ANY work.  We checked out the Farmer's Market, bought some sheets at Bed Bath & Beyond (our current set is literally threadbare), took a walk in the Heights, and had some afternoon dessert. 

Whole Foods was selling $3 bison burgers when we stopped in, so we got a cheap lunch as well. 

We found an awesome place in the Heights called Revival Market! They have REAL sourdough bread, low temp pasteurized milk, AND lard from grassfed cows! Woohoo!  We stopped there today to stock up :)

Needless to say, I'm excited about the menu this week! First I'll share what I got in my CSA box, and then I'll tell you where I'm going to use it.  Gotta get those veggies in!

CSA Box contents: strawberries, cabbage, kale, swiss chard, micro greens, spring salad mix, leeks

We already ate the strawberries like this:


Saturday (today): Southwest Casserole (with leftover pinto beans, rice, and half of a salsa jar from last week)


Sunday: a repeat of Fried Chicken this time with sauteed chard

Monday: Cornbread Casserole

Tuesday: Sundried Tomato & Spinach Mac & Cheese (except I'm substituting kale for spinach)

Wednesday: Ground Beef & Cabbage  (Gotta use that big ole head of cabbage somehow!)

Thursday: Spud Special Soup with leeks (so this will be more like a potato and leek soup...I'm improvising!)

Friday: Barbecue Chicken Pizza** (remember, the pizza I made last week? Well the dough recipe yields 4 crusts, so this is a second go 'round.)

I cooked pizza this past Friday, then I froze the other balls o' crust to be use for the next 3 Fridays.  And...the crust tastes like honey wheat. yum!


**Money saving tip:  if you notice, the Cornbread Casserole recipe calls for half a bottle of BBQ sauce.  So I decided to do BBQ pizza this week in order to use the other half.  This way I don't have to purchase ingredients to make regular pizza sauce. All I bought was a little red onion and a chunk of mozzarella!

The Cornbread Casserole is a new recipe, so I'm looking forward to checking it out.  I'm using Stubbs BBQ sauce.  It's not totally real food friendly (contains corn syrup and trace amounts of a few other suspect ingredients), but it was the best choice I could find without paying $6 for a bottle of sauce.

3 comments:

  1. You could always make your own BBQ sauce...I know that ketchup has HFCS in it, too, but maybe not as much as store-bought BBQ sauce. I have a recipe if you want it. The only "suspect" ingredients in it would be the ketchup and Worsterchire sauce...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If i use organic ketchup it doesn't have HFCS in it. Definitely send me your recipe Michelle!

      Delete
  2. Here ya go! http://scarbroughkitchen.blogspot.com/2011/03/barbecue-sauce.html

    ReplyDelete