Sunday, September 11, 2011

Houston Happenings: Driving

I've been busy with my first weeks of my new job, but I wanted to update you with some of our goings-on!  One thing we do a lot of since we're trying to learn our way around is drive.

Houston is a labyrinth of loops and highways. 



On my way to work I have to drive on two different highways.  When I need to exit I often have to cross over several lanes without much warning to get where I need to be.  It can be fairly difficult when traffic is thick.
Scary! But I'm getting used to it now and have actually stopped cutting off the circulation in my fingers from gripping the steering wheel so tightly.  The good thing here is that our traffic in Houston is just like our thunderstorms.  It doesn't last very long.  You're never really stopped anywhere for long, and most of this time it clears up within a few miles.  And people actually use their blinkers for the most part! It's amazing :)

Thankfully, I'm getting comfortable weaving in and out of traffic lanes because we don't have our "foreigner" NC license plates as an excuse anymore.  We both are officially registered in Texas.  It was an ordeal getting our license plates installed on BOTH the front and the back, but the local Toyota dealership helped us out.

 
Reid and I are sporting our water bottles which we take every where.  That particular week the temps were up to 109 degrees.  It's cooling down to mid 90s now.  The weather is extremely dry even for Houston, and as you may have heard some pretty serious wildfires are spreading north of us.  Please lift up those affected in your prayers.  I'm hoping to update again soon about Reid's first weeks of school and some of our other adventures. 




No comments:

Post a Comment